Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Real Beauty


Although I believe that “real beauty” is much more than the Dove marketing campaign encapsulates, I none-the-less think that it’s a brilliant insight on their part. It clearly communicates a consumer-centered message, and acknowledges the growing frustration many women have felt by being compared to tall, lanky super-models. The Real Beauty campaign touches on deep-felt emotions held by people worldwide, as indicated by the fact that only 2% of women in their global survey described themselves as being beautiful.

Actually, though I don’t use Dove products, this campaign resonates with me as well. I watched their “Under Pressure” video and felt something lurch inside of me.

You see, I do feel this way. I feel bombarded by a perpetual archetype I can never achieve, and I’m tired of it. I’m tired of a societal expectation that labels me as second-rate—an expectation that tells me I’m somehow insufficient if I don’t purchase the latest merchandise, beauty products, etc.

So, yeah. I suppose that my own reaction validates the effectiveness of their brand message…

…though I do find it ironic that this campaign comes from a company hoping to sell beauty supplies…

No comments: