Thursday, November 6, 2008

Exploration












This project has been an interesting learning experience, and I’ve really enjoyed exploring my own “style” of visualization. It was helpful that there weren’t too many constraints or restrictions, because I felt free to experiment with methods I probably wouldn’t have tried otherwise.

I learned how to do some cool effects using a Cintiq tablet, particularly with line-work and part-line details. The overall character of the final result is something I think looks pretty cool.

I especially liked the “mixed-media” approach—using Alias and Image Studio to get the basic forms made sure that the perspective, reflections, and shadows/highlights were all accurate, and then finishing up in Photoshop gave the images a sketchy and spontaneous feel. I loved the fact that I could choose what to render, and choose what to draw. The freedom to move back and forth between the two mediums really got me thinking about how to most effectively (and efficiently!) get the task done.

This is definitely a strategy I want to continue exploring as my design education progresses. I think it’s a great opportunity to visually communicate, and to express a little of my personality along the way.

No comments: