Friday, November 21, 2008

The Big Picture


I like the big picture.

I’ve always been interested in ideas and strategies, and I think that it comes through in my design work. It’s the understanding of the design process and overall product/brand vision where my strength resides. I’m still a young designer and I still have so much to learn in this area, but I think that this is my “niche,” so to speak.

At Kimberly-Clark, this was something that emerged. I was told that I had a good understanding of process, and was actually asked to give a repeat of my final presentation for another business team. I was also commissioned provide a copy of that presentation with a voice-over, for the purpose of having it as a company resource.

For my second term with KC, I had an idea for a commercial that would match the brand vision for the product line. I ended up writing a theme song and recording the video footage, and I got to work with Witold Tulodziecki to make a final recording of the song and do some of the video editing. It was a great opportunity and an awesome experience, and the end result was received very well by the business and marketing teams involved in the project.

It says a lot about Kimberly-Clark that they were so willing to give me opportunities, and that they were so invested in my professional development. I’m grateful to have worked there, and I think I’ve benefitted significantly from my experiences during that time.

But the next step is to strive for the next level. I still need to develop my other skills, and work to become a better-rounded designer. I think I’ve been leaning on my strengths, but afraid to challenge and develop my weaknesses. I suppose that learning to do so is a part of maturing as a professional and as a person. I just have to grit my teeth and work hard. There’s no short cut for time and effort.

Right now my visualization is okay, but not up to par as I wish it was. So this is what I want to develop. I think once I bite the bullet and dig into it, I’ll feel a lot better. And if I can successfully fuse good process insight with good visualization… well, perhaps that will be a force to be reckoned with.

No comments: