Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Afraid to Open


Blogs are funny creatures. They enable a vast number of people to create specialized networks that share information, and they connect individuals from across the globe. But they’re also visible, exposed. The world can read your words, and there’s no denying what you’ve said. It’s a powerful medium. And it makes me somewhat afraid. What if I say something foolish, something I won’t be able to live down?

You see, I’ve been keeping a private journal for over 10 years, and in that context, I don’t separate my personal thoughts from my professional insights. They all blend together into a conglomerate that is myself. That’s fine for what it is, but posting things publically is entirely different. I have to work at dividing my professional statements from my inner thoughts, and quite frankly, I haven’t had much practice doing so when it comes to written communication.

So in one regard, I’m not entirely comfortable using a blog myself. But I can recognize the benefits of leveraging it as a communications tool. It’s a great forum for gathering resources and connecting groups of people with similar interests. It’s also a fantastic medium for facilitating conversations that can shape and develop an industry. And it’s just plain good for sparking ideas.

So overall, a blog is a good tool for discussing design… I’m just not sure if it’s the right tool for me.

No comments: